Monday 4 June 2012

Quilty Quarters

Last Bank Holiday Monday I treated my very own self to a Moda Layer Cake... I've never bought one before but I've seen a few projects that folk have made with them so I was tempted. They make up very quickly you see, so I thought it would be a perfect 'short of time' quilt to make. Actually, making a Layer Cake quilt was proving a little too easy... I like playing and I didn't need to play... it was all worked out for me...
 So I started to experiment... with one block book containing over 500 blocks, 42 Layer Cake squares, each of which is only 10" square and adding some white on white fabric from my very own cupboard of lovelies... I made up a few blocks...
Each Sunday following that bank holiday I've had a little more stitchy time... so I've been adding to the block pile. Each block is 12 1/2", so they'll be 12" finished in the quilt. It is a bit challenging when you need 12" blocks and each piece of fabric is only 10"

 I guess it's going to be a sampler style quilt. I've tried to get alternate blocks finished in the background white on white so as not to need any sashing. Some of the blocks I've made to 8" and bordered them with 1/4" squares cut from the fabric layer which means I have all bias edges on those blocks...
That's OK so long as I take great care not to distort them when I stitch.. a little spray starch helps too. This time we're treated to a double Bank Holiday with yukky weather so I'm hoping to be able to finish enough blocks to get them all stitched together in a quilt top.
I'm thinking 20... that will be 4 across and 5 down. I am struggling a little, as you can imagine, I'm using tiny bits of fabric now so I have to choose the blocks carefully. I have had an extra 2 1/2" strip of the purple Bamboo design and a 6" strip of the blue flowered one...
... I can do that if I want to because I have the keys to my very own quilt shop and it's only a five minute walk from my home, he he... if you think about it though... that's much further away than my very own cupboards of stash...
but I did challenge myself to use all the same fabric line... I've never done that before, I'm not sure I will do it again actually, all the mathemisms can't be good for my head I'm supposed to be on holiday... he he he
So... I shall, hopefully, stitch a few more blocks togther today, I think I only need two more actually but the sun came out and there are chores to be done... ready...steady... GO!

3 comments:

Dottymo said...

17 blocks will make a very unusual quilt. Smashing, borders corner stones all in the same fabric ? Angie so interesting 10 fabric making a 12 block. Looking forward to the amazing finished quilt

Angie said...

20 blocks Dotty. 10" squares of 42 fabrics. No sashing. Borders to be decided yet.

Maggi said...

The blocks look great. How nice to have your own virtually unlimited stash only a five minute walk away - especially on a 4 day weekend!